Missing teeth can be unattractive and may make you feel insecure about your smile. Fortunately, your cosmetic dentist can perform a dental implant to replace your lost teeth. A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that holds replacement teeth in place.
They are one of the most effective and appealing options for replacing missing teeth. A small hole is drilled where the screw will be placed.
The cosmetic dentist slowly widens the hole to allow for placement of the implant screw. Once wide enough, the screw is put in place and a protective cover is placed on top to allow forto occur.
Osseointegration is the process in which the dental implant anchors to the jawbone. This usually takes anywhere from three to six months, and then your cosmetic dentist will complete the implant with a crown. It may seem like a long time to wait to finish the dental implant, but osseointegration is crucial for the success of your implant. If the screw doesn’t fuse with your jawbone, the implant will fail.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Durable: Although dental implants can be expensive, they are extremely durable. Because they are connected directly to the jawbone, dental implants are strong and long-lasting. When done right, they can last a lifetime.
- Easier When Eating: One of the downsides to having is that they tend to move around while you're eating. Dental implants, on the other hand, function as a natural tooth, so you won't have to worry about any frustrations while eating.
- Improved speech: Some patients that opt for dentures complain to their dentist that it's hard for them to speak clearly while wearing them. With dental implants, your speech won't be affected, and you won't have to deal with mumbling and slurring your words.
- Better Appearance: Sometimes dentures can look fake, and this may take a blow to your self-esteem. But since dental implant treatments feel and look like real teeth, you'll be more confident and happy with the appearance of your smile.
- Prevents Bone Loss: If you lose a tooth, especially one that’s hidden in the back of your mouth, you may feel that it’s unnecessary to replace it since it’s hardly noticeable. However, once the tooth is gone, there’s more bone loss that’s going on underneath the surface. Dental implants can prevent further bone loss from happening, which will also help your other teeth from being affected.
If you’re missing any teeth and considering having them replaced, talk to your cosmetic dentist to see if dental implants are the best option for you.
To learn more about our Grand Rapids cosmetic dentists and the services we offer, please contact our Grand Rapids dentist at (616) 288-6134. Our dental professionals strive to be the very best at providing patients with optimal care while making them feel right at home here in Grand Rapids, MI.